Saturday, August 19, 2006

Illogical Abortion

The great majority of people in Australia would be in favour of abortion in one way or another. Whether it be those saying 'well, it should only be allowed for early term fetuses' or those who say 'in the case of rape or incest it should be allowed at any stage'. Further to this, I find that deep down these people actually know there is something fundamentally wrong with it by the mere fact that also the great majority of people would say 'I would never have it, but it should be available in extreme circumstances'. This tends to be an implicit acknowledgement of the real evil of abortion. If there was nothing wrong with it then why would so many people say they themselves would never have it?
There is no doubt that abortion is a mass genocide on a larger scale than the Jewish Holocaust of WWII.

I wish to address the irrational argument of what I perceived to be the reasoning of the majority of people who are in favour of it. Robert P George addressed this well in a comical letter to First Things:

'I am personally opposed to killing abortionists. However, inasmuch as my personal opposition to this practice is rooted in a sectarian (Catholic) religious belief in the sanctity of human life, I am unwilling to impose it on others who may, as a matter of conscience, take a different view. Of course, I am entirely in favor of policies aimed at removing the root causes of violence against abortionists. Indeed, I would go so far as to support mandatory one-week waiting periods, and even nonjudgmental counseling, for people who are contemplating the choice of killing an abortionist. I believe in policies that reduce the urgent need some people feel to kill abortionists while, at the same time, respecting the rights of conscience of my fellow citizens who believe that the killing of abortionists is sometimes a tragic necessity-not a good, but a lesser evil. In short, I am moderately pro-choice. '

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home